Friday 13 April 2012

Let Him kiss me with the kisses of His mouth.


"Of what use to me now are the obscure sentences of the prophets? I am awaiting the fairest among the children of men: let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! The tongue of Moses is slow (Ex 4:11); the lips of Isaiah are unclean (Is 6:5); Jeremiah is a child who does not know how to talk (Jr 1:6). All the prophets are deprived of the gift of tongues. He himself, the one of whom they speak, must talk to me now, and kiss me with the kisses of his mouth... I will not be content anymore with visions and dreams; I will refuse figures and enigmas; I am tired of the angelic apparitions... I want neither the kisses of the angels nor the kisses of a man, but he is the one I entreat to grant me the kisses of his mouth."

Bernard of Clairvaux

No comments:

Post a Comment