Sunday 7 October 2012

The Cross by itself suffices



Hitler could die, and return to life again fifty times, but I should still not look upon him as the Son of God. And if the Gospel omitted all mention of Christ's resurrection, faith would be easier for me. The Cross by itself suffices me.

For me, the proof, the really miraculous thing, is the perfect beauty of the accounts of the Passion, together with certain glowing words of Isaiah's: 'He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth...', and of St Paul's: 'Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God; but made himself of no reputation... and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross... He was made accursed.' That is what compels me to believe.

Simone Weil.

No comments:

Post a Comment