Thursday 15 March 2012

Name

1. Your name rose among the people who first noticed your path:
cutting your way you ran.
Did you first learn to cut your way
as the crowds pushed toward the place of Execution -
or did you always know how?
Since when, how long - tell me, Veronica.
The name rose at the moment when your heart
became an image: an image of truth.
Your name rose from your eyes lost in gazing.


2. Sister, you long so much to see,
long so much to feel, your eyes are already there;
to make you wholly feeling.
Vision is love's space.


3. And you say:
close, I want to be so close
that no void can reveal itself apart from You,
so close that your absence cannot return to me
as the denial of myself - 
so I run, my heart cuts through the dark
created by the closeness.


4. Nobody stopped you, Veronica.
You are near. This kerchief is now the cry of many hearts,
of all reluctant hearts, no longer cutting the way
because they see your path parallel
to the way of the condemned man.


John Paul II

No comments:

Post a Comment